Assistant Billing Manager
Weekdays, 1st Shift! No nights, weekends or holidays!
The Assistant Billing Manager works with the billing manager in overseeing the operations of the billing office and serves as the primary backup; assists with direct and indirect coordination of billing staff and assists with setup and use of the electronic billing system. The assistant billing manager will be analytical, detail-oriented, flexible and have good interpersonal, judgment and communication skills.
Essential Job Functions
- Acquires and maintains a current working knowledge of billing practices and changes in behavioral health reimbursement and billing procedures; AR+ billing and eHana software set ups; and transmitting and payment of claims.
- Assists with coordination of billing staff, as assigned
- Assists in the development and management of agency billing policies/procedures.
- Assists in providing training to clinical support staff on follow-up on enrollment, eligibility and third party and private collections issues.
- Assists in maintaining and managing all billing system parameters to ensure accurate, timely billing submission.
- Communicates with payers to determine: verification of benefits that are applicable to services being rendered, authorization requirements and behavioral health specific claim submission requirements
- Utilizes applicable software and insurer reports to verify the completeness and accuracy of claims data. Follow up on claims errors and denials.
- Verifies client pay source eligibility through state resources and insurance carriers, when applicable
- Maintains relevant billing related files, records and logs when applicable
- Performs all billing follow-through functions, as necessary.
- Assists in overseeing collection activity and payment application
- Advises billing manager of individual account resolution issues or payer specific claim payment related issues
- Attends payer-specific billing related meetings and trainings as required
- Facilitates a positive and constructive work environment with other managers within the administrative offices and organization
- Provide primary coverage for billing manager
- Effectively problem solve and escalate for resolution to management, billing company or payer when necessary
- Prioritize individual and staff work and apply judgment in various situations and coordinate staff on projects and other work
- Ensure that task completion is in compliance with applicable policies, laws and regulations
- High attention to detail and able to work independently, with little direct supervision
- effectively and professionally communicate with all levels of the organization, clients and payer representatives
- Multitask and work in a fast paced environment
- Associates or higher degree preferred or significant relevant experience
- 3-5 years recent experience in billing, claims processing and follow-up in an outpatient healthcare setting, preferably behavioral health; experience with claims research and collections, CPT/ICD10 codes. Outpatient behavioral health experience strongly preferred
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Experience in a management or coordinator position strongly preferred.
- Strong experience with automated billing and accounts receivable software
- Proficiency with applications such as MS word and excel required
- Ability to pass a Criminal Offender Record Information check (CORI)
- Ability to pass a Driver’s license check (RMV)